On June 1st 2014, Buddy Hale began operating The Library Of MusicLandria.
Inspired by Berkeley’s Tool Library, Buddy enrolled in Sac State’s Business Program to learn about Social Entrepreneurship. On his very first day at Sac State, he decided to start a nonprofit. The idea was simple, create Sacramento’s first library completely dedicated to musical instruments. He used every class assignment to build the library one step at a time, and by the time he graduated, MusicLandria had a solid foundation to grow from.
To launch the project, Hale donated his entire life savings as well as his entire music instrument collection. With the help of Rachel Freund, MusicLandria opened its doors out of a tiny apartment on 11th and S and began lending out music instruments for free.
Since then, MusicLandria has completed thousands of loans, signed up hundreds of members and expanded their catalog to include over 400 musical instruments.
2. Prior to borrowing items, all Members must (a) complete a Membership Application; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification Form; (c) sign our policy form; and (d) have their residence confirmed by a Library volunteer or member of the staff. Completing a Membership Application includes the completion of the Membership Application form and verification of the Member’s identity. Presenting a valid government-issued photo ID and a second form of identification that includes a current address will accomplish verification of the Member’s identity.
3. Library staff is available to assist in explaining proper use and operation of all items. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
4. Only the Member is authorized to use Library items. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of the Library.
5. Members will not specifically be charged for borrowing any item, but will be advised as to the suggested donation for the items that they are borrowing.
6. All items borrowed are to be returned to the Library by close of business on their due date. Items may only be returned before their due date at an agreed upon time. To schedule a return time, contact Buddy Hale at 510 705 3567 or firstname.lastname@example.org
7. If an item is returned late, the Member will be responsible for a late fee. This late fee will be $5 per day for every day the Library is open until the item is returned. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the item plus a $5 administrative fee per item. The Library may replace severely delinquent items, holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost plus a $5 administrative fee. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items.
8. The Library reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve delinquent items or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action and assess the delinquent Member with the cost of any such action. The Library also reserves the right to forgive fees due to special circumstances.
9. Items may be reserved only on the actual date of checkout. All reservations must be confirmed by a Library staff member, volunteer, or automated response to be effective. All reservations will be nullified if you do not pick up your item by the time we close on the day you reserved the item. MusicLandria reserves the right to make an exception to this policy for large, community events. No exceptions will be made for individual lending.
10. Members may renew each item once if (a) the Member contacts the Library by noon on the day that the item is due, and (b) no other Member has reserved the item. The Library reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand.
11. The Member agrees that the Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed items.
12. The Member agrees that if any borrowed item becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the item and notify the Library of the issue on return, if not earlier.
13. All items are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All items must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept the Library’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to the Library’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the item plus a $5 administrative fee.
14. The Library reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.